Monday, August 8, 2016

12 miles on the Dreadmill and a whole lot of Tri!

Running in the summer in Georgia is a joke.  Even at 5am it's 80 degrees with 1,000% humidity and a heat index of 200 degrees F.  So, I tend to do my shorter runs outside during the dreadful weather and the long runs inside on the treadmill.  This may seem contrary to other training recommendations but this is what I have found works best for my body, and if I have learned anything from multiple failed training attempts it's that you have to do what's best for your body!  And also contrary to popular belief, I find that if I have a show to binge watch on my Kindle I don't mind the longer miles on the treadmill.  Benefits of long runs on the treadmill include not having to carry your fuel, temperature regulation (I have a small fan clipped to mine at home for a nice wind-in-your-hair effect), and a stable bathroom if needed.

I suppose long-run-on-the-treadmill opponents would site studies that say if you run on a treadmill then you are not adequately prepared for outdoor running as the treadmill belt moves for you and you don't get exposed to head-wind drag or ground reaction forces.  To them I would say, "Hah!  You clearly do not keep up with the latest in biokinetic science and sports physiology!"  And then I would point them in the direction of a fabulous research article published in 1996 in the Journal of Sports Science entitled "A 1% grade most accurately reflects the energetic costs of outdoor running."  In this study, lead author Andrew Jones compared energy expenditures of male runners on the treadmill at varying speeds and then compared that data to expenditures documented in these male athletes while they ran the same distance outside.  His results concluded that a 1% grade on the treadmill most accurately simulated physiologic conditions of running outside.  HOWEVER, this conclusion is only applicable to a certain speed set: to runners running a 7:09 min-per-mile pace or faster.  And for me, I only reach that pace in my dreams....
 
Anyhow, given recent scientific developments, I say, run on treadmill runners, run on!

I did 12 miles on the treadmill on Sunday while watching the Olympics.  The 12 miles wasn't the prettiest 12 miles I have ever run but I got them done, and some weeks in Marathon Training that is a WIN.  The middle 4 miles wouldn't have happened without the help of a great montage of all the Rocky montages I found on YouTube (I had to take a break from watching the Olympics after the heartbreaking finish to the women's cycling race).  Today, as I write, I feel pretty good.  Some tightness in my mid-back and shoulders but no too bad.  Some soreness in my feet, but I think I might be due for new shoes.  I am feeling overall good about my conditioning to this point and I look forward to my first attempt at Triathlon on August 28th (more to come on that...)!  

I love the Olympics.  I love watching the amateur athletes get a chance to shine (I don't like that they let professionals play in sports like basketball, golf, and tennis).  I love watching the equestrian competition as the Olympics are pretty much the only time equestrian sport is featured on network TV.  But I also like the cyclical nature of the Olympic Games.  It is nice to reflect where we each were four years ago...I personally was laid up after knee surgery.  And in a world filled with such sadness and evil it is nice to see the countries come together to celebrate something so positive!

Happy Olympics and happy running!

Sometimes you gotta show the treadmill a little love...and replace the circuit board!

No comments:

Post a Comment