Thursday, November 14, 2013

Back to the Future

Writing, like running, has long been a past time of mine.  Running is cathartic.  Writing is cathartic.  Running requires rhythm and cadence just as writing requires a measure of both rhythm and cadence.  Running helps me think and evaluate my inner monologue.  Writing, at times, is an expression of that inner monologue.  You can see why I enjoy both activities....

Today I sat down at my computer to try and clean up some files and reorganize my writing portfolio.  During the course of this rather tedious after work activity, I stumbled upon a gem of a piece: a nonfiction story I had written for my seventh grade literature class about running.  I couldn't resist posting it to the blog.  Enjoy!  (Please excuse the grammatical mistakes, use of passive voice, and nonsensical tense changes!!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Day I Flew

            The alarm shatters the still, quiet darkness of the early morning hours.  I turn around and look at the red glowing numbers on my digital alarm clock.  The numbers 6:00 flash in my brain, it is time.  I know I have to get up, but my body won’t respond.  It is race day.  It is time to put all those hard weeks of grueling training and conditioning to the test. 
            When I finally get up and start my morning routine, I am amazed at my uncharacteristic calm. I move as if in a dream, or under water.  I eat and drink very little that morning.  My whole family piles into the car and we leave the safety of our neighborhood.  We are the only people on the road that early morning.  The steady hum of the purring engine is the only sound to be heard as we push on through the side streets.  I am not aware of any of this, though.  I am slowly retiring into my own world, where I am calmed and reassured.  I always go to that place at the deepest part of my brain where I can be safe.  The place never visited by any other human being but me.  That place is mine and mine alone.
            My peaceful calm is shattered by the sudden jarring of the car.  We are here.  In my stomach I feel a million butterflies burst out of their cocoons and flutter out into their new world.  By the time we are arrive at the start of the race, most of the runners have already lined up.  I take my place at the back and begin stretching.  I look to the left and see my dad, who gives me a thumbs up sign.  My mom waves, as does my sister.  My brother grins.  I face forward and wait for the sound of the starting pistol.  The gun sounds, and the long, winding line of runners slowly commences. 
            The first part of the race was up a gently sloped street.  I stay toward the back of the pack.  As I climb up the sloped street, I feel my calf muscles contract as the weight of my body falls down upon them.  The muscles relax when I lift my foot.  Contract, relax, contract, relax, contract.  I fall into a rhythm with each breath and step I take.  Off in the distance I hear music blaring and people chattering.  I block out all of these distractions, and try to make mind and body become one.  It works, and before I know it, I have passed the people I have been keeping pace with.  After a while, my muscles begin to burn, and I could now taste the salty droplets of sweat that were once balanced perilously on my upper lip.  I’m now half way through my race and every part of my body was covered with droplets of sweat.  Every appendage; arms, legs, fingers, toes, and feet hurt.  They command me to stop, but my determination is as strong as ever!  I push on and on, up hills and down them.  My body grows weaker, my mind stronger.  I’m coming down the home stretch; I’ve fixed on a target, the FINISH LINE.  The only thing that stands between me and my goal is a short, stocky boy.  I size him up and decide I can’t let him beat me, I have to finish strong.  All of a sudden, my legs give a jar, and I begin to fly faster and faster.  Like an eagle swooping in for the kill.  My heart, already beating hard, feels as though it will burst through my chest.  My legs, oh my burning legs, they demand me to stop, they beg me to stop, but my brain says run, run like the wind and don’t stop until you reach what you’ve been striving for.  Don’t stop, not now when you’re so close, don’t stop, just a few more steps.  I’m so close! 
            I’ve passed the boy, legs don’t fail me now!  One, two strides, I’m almost there.  One more big step. . . .I did it!  I’ve crossed the FINISH LINE, just as my engine dies out.  My aching muscles stop burning and salute me.  For the first time, I notice that a beautiful day it is.  I can feel the sunshine warm my sweat drenched face.  The butterflies that were once in my stomach are now out in the glorious daytime.  The only remnants of my grueling test of mind over matter is the satisfying taste of the slowly drying perspiration that covers my body, and the big smile that’s plastered across my face.  With a final glance behind me, I walk off to go watch the start of the 10k my dad was running.  Someday I thought, I’d run a 10 kilometer race with him.  I’ll never forget, though, the day I flew.       
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment