Monday, February 24, 2014

Runners say the darndest things!

I usually run alone.  That is one of the things I enjoyed (and still enjoy) most about running; solitary thinking time.  Prior to 2013, I had never been a part of a cross country team or local running club.  Prior to 2013, the largest "group" I had ever run with consisted of either my best friend Rachel, my dad and brother, or my dog Scout.  But that all changed when I joined a running group to train for MCM 2013.

As it turns out, running with others is fun and educational.  There is something about the combination of sweat, body odor, adrenaline, and mild hypoxia that causes people to become rather loquacious. At least, that is what I discovered while running with total strangers.  The conversation topics would jump from the banal to the philosophical to the intimate.  Sometimes, if the long run was particularly long, we might even discuss and solve world hunger! I think all job interviews should begin and end with a run!

But seriously, if you want to get to know someone, run with them.  There is nothing more primal, more equalizing, and more honest than running.  There is no pomp and circumstance, there is no need to stand on ceremony, there is only you, your cardiovascular system, and the road (oh, and five or six of your closest friends!).  Running together can teach you about your fellow runners' personal qualities such as commitment, honesty, and integrity.

It was my pleasure to get to know my group of running strangers so well and so intimately this past summer and fall.  I encourage everyone out there who currently runs alone to try running with a group at some point.  Not only will a group run improve your own fitness and performance, but you may learn a little something about humanity as well.

If you want to get to know someone, go run with them.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment