Saturday, June 7, 2014

The First Mile Always Lies

once read somewhere that most world class distance runners don't feel fully warmed up until about 2 miles into a run. By that standard I am a world class distance runner!  My first mile both mentally and physically is always my worst and hardest.  When I first start running there are a litany of sore joints and muscles that sound-off like a line of soldiers bring being presented for inspection; eah ache shouting out name, rank , and serial number.  After the role-call my mind produces a list of reasons why the run should be abandoned for the day.  And so the battle of wills begins!  "I" versus "Me" will go down in history as one of the greatest rivalries ever!  This epic fight rivals that of Frasier v. Ali, Rocky v. The Soviet guy!!  The punches are hard and the fighting tactics are ruthless!!  Fortunately for myself, Me and I usually work it out by mile 2 and get along swimmingly for the remainder of the run.  Happy trails and always remember to ignore that first mile!


No comments:

Post a Comment